Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Many Ways to Eat Cabbage on Phase 2!

This has been the round where I have discovered that I love cabbage!  Funny thing, really, to discover that you love a food that you never knew you loved in the midst of a diet plan!


Cabbage is versatile, tasty and cheap!  I bought it for 29¢ a pound last week (of course, that was just before New Year's), but I don't think I've ever paid more than 69¢ a pound.  Some people mix it with lettuce in their salad to give it more bulk and to make it go farther.  Unfortunately, in Phase 2, we can't mix veggies, but I will likely do that when I get to Phase 3 again.

Here's what I've been doing with my cabbage lately.  First of all, I chop the head of cabbage into small pieces, along with 3 green onions (a little mixing with onions is ok, some say and it works for me).  I put it all in a big bowl in the refrigerator, so it's easy to grab what I need.


I already posted the recipe for Cabbage Soup, but there it is again in case you missed it in my earlier post. I love to put it in my crock pot!

I've also been making a little stir fry with my cabbage. I've been using chicken, but you could use beef as well. I marinate my chicken in some Bragg's Liquid Aminos, garlic and powdered ginger root for at least an hour (overnight, if I think that far in advance!) I've been using 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides) to stir fry my chicken and then approx. 2 cups of cabbage. I like to add more ginger & a touch more Bragg's as it cooks, and a little vegetable broth at the end to scrape the pan.


Here's a link to a recipe and a vlog that talks about why you can use up to 2 Tbsp. of coconut oil or MCT oil during Phase 2.

And last, but certainly not least, I've been making my own P2 friendly version of Asian Salad. I put 2 handfuls (approx. 2 cups) of cabbage in a bowl. In a separate small bowl, I combine 1/2 Tbsp. of MCT oil, 3 splashes of Rice Vinegar, 5 splashes of Bragg's Liquid Amino's (I know, splashes are a very scientific method of measurement!) and just a tiny bit of Stevia. After stirring up the dressing, I add it to my cabbage, stir it & let it sit for a few minutes. Then I stir it up a bit more before (and during) eating it, as the dressing tends to settle in the bottom of the bowl. This is one of my favorite salads! In Phase 3, I add slivered almonds to said salad...even better!
                                                                     

4 comments:

  1. YUM! So, when you cut up the cabbage and onion (in your top recipe), do you eat it dry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I just cut it up so it is ready to do whatever it is I need to do...the prep is already done. A little trick I learned from Rachel Ray! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this!!! I'm so glad you are blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete